Friday, January 25, 2013

Dear Ticket Writer


Dear Ticket Writer,
            As part of my daily commute I have to drive on 5-12 and I-5 and lately I’ve been noticing a lot of people being pulled over and given speeding tickets. And as someone who has been on the receiving end of those tickets numerous times, it’s getting a little annoying.
            Let me clarify this one a little though. I think someone who is blatantly breaking the law should be reprimanded for it. Secondly, I think most police officers are doing an amazing job. They put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe.
            That being said; most of the people I see getting pulled over are driving decent cars and wearing decent clothes. They’re not stopping criminals; they’re giving tickets to hard working people who are trying to contribute to society.
            I think this crack down on speeding is nothing more than the government trying to get more money out of our pockets. (Yeah that’s right, you stumbled onto an “it’s all the governments fault” rant). And it’s not so much that they’re trying to get at us, it makes sense, our state and country are in terrible debt and taxes are already to high. It’s the fact that their making police officers become tax collectors. On a police officers badge it says, “to protect and serve” not “to harass and collect”.
            As if our police officers weren’t getting a bad enough rap already. We become outraged when they try and defend themselves but complain when they don’t protect us enough. Now our local government is pushing them to give out more tickets which, when paid, go to the county.
            Why can’t we just allow them to do the job we expect them to do, protect and serve? So Ticket Writer, I understand that it’s not your fault, but it is getting annoying that every time I drive on I-5 I see at least two people receiving speeding tickets. Can’t you try helping the guy twenty feet away with his hazards on?

No comments:

Post a Comment